So as I’m writing this post, I’m currently sitting on my bedroom floor, looking at my backpack, wondering if I’ve truly completed packing for southeast Asia.
In a couple days, I’m taking off on a jet plane from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Bali, Indonesia.
This is my first real solo adventure and I’m a little nervous but mostly excited.
Although, the rest of my family is nervous and worried — I honestly think people are more nervous for me than I’m nervous for me. Lol.
Over the past week, I’ve been slowly cleaning up my space and home, preparing for my departure; making it look as though I’ve never lived here.
I’ve washed all my clothes, cleaned all the areas that were horrendous — my bathroom and bedroom are now spotless — and tidied up my closet.
Although, the hardest part of all this was definitely packing for southeast Asia.
Preparing to leave my family, saying goodbye to friends, trying to find the courage to say goodbye to my adorable pup… that all seems to be easier than packing.
I’m just too excited and I know they’ll all be here when I come back, so saying goodbyes aren’t too hard for me.
It’s really the packing for southeast Asia.
I have absolutely no idea what to bring with me.
I’ve done in-depth research; reading countless blogs and posts about what to pack, watching YouTube videos on different locations I plan on visiting, and scouring the world wide web for information on southeast Asia.
But I feel as though it’s a learning process of trial and error when preparing.
I’ve narrowed down my packing list, but I still think I should be bringing more with me, as I plan on traveling for multiple months.
Granted, my bag does way a whopping 30 pounds… although I’m not sure if that’s heavy or not. Yikes.
I’ve never packed everything in a backpack before, only suitcases.
So this will be interesting.
Anyways, here’s everything I’ve packed for southeast Asia:
- 6 tank tops (black, 3 grey tanks, maroon, and navy blue)
- 1 white shawl/cover-up
- 3 t-shirts (a cream one, white crop-top tee, and a soft sleep shirt)
- 2 long-sleeved button-ups (one cream and one dark grey)
- 1 blue dress
- 1 black dress
- Black swimsuit cover up
- 3 pairs of shorts (black, jean shorts, and grey)
- 2 sleep shorts
- Black UA leggings
- 4 one-pieces
- 2 swimsuit tops
- 2 swimsuit bottoms
- 4 pairs of ExOfficio underwear (2 black, 2 white)
- 3 bralettes
- 1 sports bra
- Sketchers Lite Tennis Shoes
- Blue Toms
- Flip-flops (for showering)
- 2 lightweight belts
- 2 scarves
- 2 pairs of sunglasses
- Hair brush
- Bar of soap
- Face wash
- Makeup remover
- Small container of coconut oil
- Solid perfume
- Face cream with SPF
- Razor with a few extra blades
- Blossom Cup (period cup instead of a large box of tampons)
- Lightweight quick drying towel
- Ear plugs / eye mask
- iPhone 6s
- 2 iPhone 6s chargers (I love my 6 ft long one)
- 2 wall plug-in boxes
- Sony a5000 camera (and corresponding charger)
- GoPro Hero Silver (and corresponding charger)
- Tripp Lite 3 Outlet Portable Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports
- 3 portable chargers (1 solar powered, 2 regular)
- MacBook Pro (and corresponding charger)
- 2 pairs of headphones
- Multi-national converter
- 2 memory cards and a flashdrive
- Selfie stick with mini-tripod
- Drain stopper
- A small container of detergent
- Lightweight clothesline
- Notebook (with some extra pens and pencils)
- Nike drawstring bag
- Lightweight warm weather sleeping bag
- Anti-malaria medication
- Travel diarrhea medication
- Compact packable water bottle
- About $100 U.S. dollars (small bills – mostly $5’s and $10’s)
- 3 Passport-sized photos
- A copy of my passport
- ATM card and 2 credit cards
- 2 TSA approved locks
- Travel insurance (through World Nomads)
I’ve also packed all my things into the Osprey Farpoint 55 L backpack (which I LOVE). It comes with a little daypack that can be zipped on, or taken off and used as a carry-on.
Additionally, to keep things organized, I used packing cubes.
They’re extremely handy to keep things in clean and not cluttered. I use one for clothing, one for swimsuits and delicates, and another for miscellaneous.
So, there you have it. Everything I brought with me for my backpacking adventure in southeast Asia.
I’m pretty sure I’ve brought more stuff with me than needed but I’ll figure that out when I get there!
Have you packed up and traveled around southeast Asia or somewhere similar? What did you pack? Anything you’d bring with you again or leave at home? Let me know in the comments!
P.S. The Wanderful Me is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program; this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using them, we will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.